Yesterday, in his astonishing interview with NBC News: (NYT link)
Mr. Trump told Lester Holt of NBC News. “It’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won.”
What on earth does that mean?
- That the American people support Democratic policies,
- That the Democratic demographic advantage is overwhelming,
- That the Republicans do not have good candidates,
- That he was an unappealing candidate?
- That he did not expect to win,
- That he knows he is unready to be President?
Or, I suppose, it could just be that he is getting inside their minds and saying that the Democrats think that they should have won. Frankly, that’s a psychological distinction too far for me to attribute to Trump.
Anyway, as things spin more and more out of control, as I am sure they will, we will have many more opportunities to observe and analyze Trump’s mental functioning, perhaps as authorized under the 25th Amendment.